Often times we spend our time focused on the future, or reminiscing on the past, and we don’t even notice the world passing us by, slipping through our fingers. I am guilty of this too, I look forward to the day that I am graduated from high school and I can begin my life. But as I have been sitting here thinking, I realized, that even though it is okay to look forward to the future, it is also crucially important to focus on the here and now. What is happening in your life right now? Are you where you want to be in your life? If not, are you doing anything to push yourself to be where you want to be? Instead of dreaming about where you want to be in a year, five years, ten years, why don’t you do something to speed up that process, and be present while you’re doing it. For example, if you have read my about page, you know that I am passionate about helping others become their best selves. I sat around for two years, and did absolutely nothing about it, and then I realized that my dreams aren’t going to just come to
me if I don’t work towards it. If I wouldn’t have had that realization, you wouldn’t be sitting here reading this blog, and I would still have all of these thoughts locked up in my brain. Work hard, but not so hard that you let the world pass you by. Enjoy everyday, even if you’re having ‘just one of those days’ still find something to appreciate about that day.
So I came up with a few things you can do to keep you present.
- There is a ton of free websites and apps that will teach you how to meditate, or take you through guided meditations.
- Take a walk
- Walk your dog, Walk your cat, Walk your neighbors iguana for heavens sake. Just get outside, get some fresh air, and appreciate this amazing world we live in.
- Not everyone reading this is religious, so this may not apply to you. But praying is a great way to clear your head and focus on the here and now.
- Theres nothing quite like putting pen to paper, and spilling your thoughts. Your journal can be personal, it can be something you share, it can be about nothing in particular, or it can tell your whole life story. Whatever the purpose of your journal, if you’re ever feeling like your too focused on other things, take a minute to stop and reevaluate, through writing.
- Take a drive
- I don’t know about you, but something about driving, with the music on, or an audiobook depending on what I am feeling that day, just makes me feel so happy. It brings me so much satisfaction and it makes me appreciate everything I am fortunate to have.
- Reading a good book, with a nice hot cup of tea, or coffee, preferably in a bath tub, with a bath bomb, and bubbles, and a candle, and essential oils, (the list could go on and on so I’m gonna stop here) is just an amazing way for me to relax and be present.
- Listen to music
- Everyones music taste is a little different, and let me tell you mine is all over the place, but listening to a nice coffeehouse hits playlist gets me feeling so calm and in tune with myself and my surrounding.
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read my post, and I hope you can find a way to incorporate some of these ideas into your life.