Two Thousand and Seventeen was probably one of the best years of my life, but it also came with a lot of sudden life changes. If you told me on January 1st, 2017, that I would be sitting here writing this blog post, in Boise Idaho, I would have told you that you were crazy. I learned so many valuable life lessons, and I feel that it is important to share, not only for everyone who reads my posts can enjoy, but also so that in 5 years I can go back and read this post and realize how much I went through and survived in 2017. So here is 17 things I learned in 2017.
- Expect the Unexpected
- Sometimes life hits you with a ton of bricks, and you may have expected it, or it may have taken you by surprise. Dont get too comfortable or life might decide to play a trick on you and take everything you’ve ever known and turn your world upside down. In May 2017, I was informed that I would be moving to Boise, Idaho for my senior year of high school. Let me tell you there is nothing more world shattering to a comfortable teenager than having to pick up and move, but it taught me a few good life lessons.
- Listen to your Heart
- “He’s my best friend I can’t risk our friendship” These words came out of my mouths so many times you probably couldn’t count them. But when I finally came to the realization that risking my friendship with this boy, could lead to being one of the best things to ever happen to me, it made it all worth it. This may not be your situation, but just know that your heart has your best interest in mind.
- Love Yourself
- I can not stress this enough, take time for yourself. Dont let yourself get so stressed out that you cry every night and dread waking up in the morning, I did this and it was one of the worst things ever. Then one day I realized that it wasn’t worth it anymore. I decided to make time for myself, even if that meant losing part of me that I have known for the last 10 years. Which leads me to the next point…
- Its Okay to Quit
- Dont get me wrong, quitting isn’t a good thing to do, but if something gets to the point that you hate it, then don’t do it. I danced for ten years, and when I moved I just couldn’t do it anymore. I couldn’t bring myself to spend ten hours a week in the studio anymore. I will always love dance, I will always be passionate about it, but I accepted that it wasn’t something I could continue to do. If you’re doing something that is mentally draining and makes you hate life, then just quit.
- Turn off your phone
- I don’t mean forever, but sometimes its a stressful distraction. When I am working on my blog, sometimes I will put my phone in a drawer on do not disturb, or put it on the other side of the room and not check it until I am done. I get a lot more work done and It makes me feel a lot more productive.
- I feel as if I am constantly stressed out and can’t handle everything that I have going on. But then I sit back, and realize that I can do what I do, and still find time for myself. I spend the time I could spend having me time, worrying and stressing about things that I don’t need to worry or stress about. It would just make life easier to always relax instead.
- Focus on the good
- This world is progressively getting bad, and its everywhere. Theres 24/7 access to all of the bad news going on in the world, but sometimes it is better to just go outside on a walk, and appreciate the trees, the flowers, the snow, the river, the ocean, the birds, the squirrels, the nature of this beautiful world we live in.
- You’re in control
- We all have those days where we feel like nothing is going the way we wanted it to go or the way we planned it to go, but we just need to remember that with a change of attitude or a mindset switch, we can automatically make a bad day better, or a good day great. No reason to feel like the world is happening to you, instead, be a part of the world and do what you want to make you happy.
- Fight for what you want
- If you want something bad enough, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t have it. You are capable of doing amazing things, and you shouldn’t have to worry or think about what other people say. Fight for what you want, fight for what you believe in, fight for yourself. Dont let people control you.
- Stay out of it
- There is absolutely no reason to be involved in drama. I have been living a drama free life for five months and I am so much happier now than I ever was when I was focused on drama, school, social, or celebrity. No matter what form, drama sucks and you just need to stay out of it.
- Dont try to take control
- This may seem a little contradictory because I literally just told you that you were in control, but this is a different aspect. I don’t know if you’re religious or not, but God, or the Universe, or whatever you believe in, has a plan for you. Im not saying sit back and watch the world pass you by, but trust the process and good will come from it, as long as you continue to work for what you want.
- You will get through it
- I felt like my life was over. I was not looking forward to senior year AT ALL. And although its still not my favorite, I am getting through it one day at a time, and you will too.
- Meditation actually helps
- Im not necessarily saying do the “Ommmmm Ommmmm” meditation, although that is also really therapeutic. But I am saying, if you turn on a guided meditation and try to focus on what they’re saying to do, you will feel significantly happier, or less stressed, or more relaxed, or whatever you’re intention is to feel, you’ll feel it. I have come to love meditation. I bought a book that asks mind stretching questions to get you in tune with your mindfulness, along with meditating on my own, and doing guided meditations, and I think it has had a big impact on my life.
- Plan, But be flexible
- I love planning, but I have a horrible follow through, which is why I set goals, and plans and resolutions, and rewards. But having a plan, that you can go by to at least some what know what is going on, even if plans change. Also don’t get too caught up on the change of plans, Its just a new experience, not the end of the world.
- Capture as many moments as you have, they don’t last forever
- The pictures that I have with my friends from my old town I will cherish forever. I will look back on those pictures and remember, not only what great moments and memories I had with my friends, and what great friends I have, But I can also look back and realize how much I have grown since those photos were taken.
- Never stop learning.
- Its kind of ironic to me that I say this but I hate going to school. My problem with school is that they teach everyone the exact same thing the exact same way, but people aren’t the same, but that is a topic for another time. Never stop learning, growing, reading, imagining, thinking, etc. I don’t know how I ever disliked reading, because it is one of my favorite pass times now, because I love learning new things.
- Be yourself
- Dont change who you are because all of your friends are out partying and they want you to go with them. Dont change yourself because you don’t have friends and you want friends but they don’t like you for who you are. Dont change yourself for a relationship, don’t change yourself to please anyone else. If you change, it should be growing for yourself. No one else gets a say in who you are. You are you, and that the most important thing.
2017 was a good year, heres to 2018.